🔧 So I did a thing, I put a thermal on the Trailhunter

SmokyMtnTaco Original Poster
Post #1
Trailhunter
SmokyMtnTaco
Trailhunter
Threads:40
Posts:53
Reactions:11
Joined:Feb 27, 2026
Location:Smoky Mountains, TN

I put the Vantrue Pilot 2 on my 2025 Toyota Tacoma Trailhunter because I wanted to see what thermal could reveal on dark roads.


One field gave me a much bigger surprise than I expected. The real footage made this an interesting test.


But seeing something on a live thermal display is one thing. What does the Pilot 2 actually save when I park and walk away?


I looked at what the camera actually saved rather than relying on the live display. The result is in the full video.


Full video:


Which would interest you more on a Tacoma—seeing heat at night or checking what was recorded while parked?


--
Ole Smoky

"If you park your Tacoma, you have to turn around and do a double take!"

Post #2

Heat at night. Great new capability for helping avoid elk, deer, and errant humanoids. Great to see campfires of others when looking for available dispersed campsites. I have 2” ditch lights but thermal viewing goes wayyyyy beyond. Great video.

Post #3

Thanks! I appreciate it!