🔥 I Put a GoPro Under My Trailhunter’s Rear Suspension — Here’s Why

SmokyMtnTaco Original Poster
Post #1
Trailhunter
SmokyMtnTaco
Trailhunter
Threads:40
Posts:53
Reactions:11
Joined:Feb 27, 2026
Location:Smoky Mountains, TN

My Toyota Tacoma Trailhunter keeps gaining permanent overland weight, but I really didn’t want to go the airbag route.


So I tried the Blue -40 SumoSprings and then did something I haven’t seen enough people do: I put a GoPro under the rear and ran the same ditch twice so each side had to work.


The footage answered one question immediately — and raised another about what happens once the rooftop tent, crossbars and awning are on.


Full video:


If your 4th Gen Tacoma is carrying permanent weight, what are you using for rear support?



--
Ole Smoky

"If you park your Tacoma, you have to turn around and do a double take!"

Post #2

Do you know how much (in inches) your articulation changed? More? Less? The video did not seem to show the suspension at full compression.


In other news, I am a little ahead of you on the tent/canopy thing. I have around 650lbs of added weight on my rear axle. I went with the ARB 400kg springs to bring the rear sag back up. So far so good and it was only $300 or so.

Post #3

Oh Thats nice! Show us some pics! I had someone comment on that video that I needed spacers. I called up Sumo Springs they said if I have 1/2 inch to 1 inch between the spring and the axle I don't need spacer. I was around 3/4 inch with bed cap, roam case full with gear, roof top tent and an awning. When I did the test all I had was the bed cap and roam case with gear. I've got several active projects going on with it right now, but as soon as I'm done with them, well see how it handles under a real load. Articulation wise it seems to be fine.